Friday, April 30, 2010

Hell Yeah, We Can!

"I love it when you get all rebel-without-a-cause," 'Carrot' said to me after class today. Yes, I actually went, despite how beer-before-noon today felt like.

"Why?" my royally pissed-off frown automatically morphed into a sweet little smile just because I'm random like that.

"Because you're my let's-change-the-world buddy," she bumped her hip against mine and stuck her tongue out at me while stealing my lighter again.

Yes, at the moment I just laughed and popped the flavor switch on my cigarrette (did you know those existed? THEY DO!), but her comment just wouldn't leave me alone afterwards. We should all have a let's-change-the-world buddy, I concluded.

***

It all started today, when my favorite professor (yes, the feminist hippie one) gave a class on 'perversion' and the power of words. We were analyzing the Catholic Church's speech concerning all the pedophilia scandals when she showed an article of a Really Important Religious Figure basically blaming it on homosexuality. Needless to say, everyone was extremely surprised, and yes, in the negative sense. It was one of those intense moments in class when everyone starts letting out indignant comments/noises and the teacher has to ask everyone to shut up at least twice.

Anyway, she began telling us about an incident about an year ago in one of the Law classes and we immediately calmed down again. It was around time of the Pride Parade, which is a huuuge deal here in the city, and of course people were joking around about it. Sample conversation:

Guy 1: "Hey, man, did you buy your outfit yet? Hahahah."
Guy 2: "Yeah, dude, your dad came with me. I loved the panties he bought. Hahaha."

Right.

So the Law teacher came in and asked what everyone's fuss was about that day, and someone told him. He snickered and pushed his dark-rimmed glasses up his nose and let out with disgust, "If it was up to me, I'd line every single one of them up and execute them."

!!!

The class fell silent in utter disbelief until a girl politely asked, "But professor, don't you think your comment goes a little against what is stated the Constitution?"

"No," he frowned with extreme self-righteousness, "What those people do is wrong and I wouldn't think twice about shooting them all up."

"Well," the girl stood up, "In that case, you can start with shooting me."

Silence again.

And then a boy stood up and raised his chin defiantly, "And me."

And then another boy stood up, and then another girl, and then another and another, and soon enough the whole class was standing up. The professor didn't apologize or try to explain himself better (which would be extremely difficult, considering everything), but proceeded to insult and discriminate even more.

Long story short, the class immediately marched over to the Headmaster's office and the ignorant little fuck was fired.

***

"Well, we can change the world," I told 'Carrot', smiling at the goose-bumps the story still gave me, "We're going to. Trust me."

*

1 comment:

TalkingToxic said...

people can be so ignorant, I think it's really amazing how all those kids in the class stood up for it though.
Haha, it's a nice thought, the one where you want to change the world and make it better. To bad it makes me feel tired just thinking about itXD