Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Classic New Year Post

Here I am, back again. Today's excuse for my long absence: I was finishing off my new book. Yes, I'm afraid to say I've spent a huge chunk of my holidays on that - wasting my days and nights away in front of my brand new laptop (woohoo!) and falling in love with my hopelessly troubled characters. Anyways, I'm back because I have too much to think about and need to unload a little. So here goes my classic New Year post.

I was reading one of those crappy neighborhood newspapers while I got coffee with my Mom today (yes, she was on the phone as usual) and was surprised to read something that actually got my sleepy holiday brain thinking. New Year can only be called New Year if we step out of our comfort zones to make it different. It's supposed to represent a brand new start and all, but the more I think about it, the more I see how January 1st is on January 1st for me and most people. Always. With very little exception. Why do we even bother to make up New Year's Resolutions when, at the end of the day, all they amount to is a brand new to-do list like the ones in our agendas? Okay, yeah, so the agenda might be brand new and stuff, but what you're writing there is just the first little list of pending chores - and nothing more. If you don't turn it into something more, that is.

So I guess my only New Year's Resolution this year is exactly that - to go the extra mile with everything I vow to do, and to turn things into that pretty pink and glittery something more. Hell yeah, do I have more stuff I want to get done this year; I'm just not going to tag them as a Resolution with a capital 'R', is all. I could go on and on now about how we tend to name things so they sound more important than they actually are, but that's a whole other story. True, but momentarily irrelevant.

Let's change the subject, then, shall we?

Since the new laptop came, I've been spending more and more time in my room hunting for interesting blogs to read (notice the brand new box that's replaced my lonely playlist of random songs), and that's how I came across this. Self-centered and quite useless, yes, but fun nonetheless. Like pretty much everything we do.

1. My uncle once: bought two identical Tiffany's diamond necklaces and accidentaly gave them both to me - one for Christmas and the other one for my birthday, about 20 days later. I didn't complain a) because I wanted to be polite and b) because it was a fucking diamond necklace, for christ's sake.
2. Never in my life: have I celebrated New Year at home.
3. When I was five: I wanted to wash cars for a living and own a vintage VW bug. I still want the VW bug.
4. High school was: a sort of bipolar experience - awesome and perfect in some ways, scary and miserable in others.
5. I will never forget: my first ever kiss - 3rd grade, in my (locked) bathroom with a super cute blue-eyed boy called Gabriel while my nanny desperately pounded at the door.
6. Once I met: an apparently super famous tattoo artist (who was on the cover of Maxim last month). She's my neighbor at the beach and she was the one who gave me my Blackbird.
7. There’s this boy I know: who has the prettiest eyes in the universe and a killer rebel-without-a-cause attitude that makes me swoon. Sigh.
8. Once, at a bar: I somehow ended up being the rope in two guys' game of Tug of War. I was flung inside the bathroom and left the bar with a big fat smile on my face.
9. By noon, I’m usually: hungry and wishing I was out at the beach, roasting in the sun.
10. Last night: I watched "Inglorious Basterds" with the Infamous Zipper Man. Heh heh.
11. If only I had: just a little more patience...
12. Next time I go to church: I will try (harder) not to feel claustrophobic.
13. What worries me most: is having to wake up tomorrow at FIVE FUCKING THIRTY in the morning to re-take the class I flunked this semester. Five whole hours of Math 1, anyone?
14. When I turn my head left I see: a Calvin Klein gift bag, an unpacked backpack, my guitar.
15. When I turn my head right I see: my room's balcony.
16. You know I’m lying when: You don't - I hate lying, but I'm awful good at it.
17. What I miss most about the Eighties is: Siouxsie and the Bansheens, New Order, Gang of Four... you name it.
18. If I were a character in Shakespeare I’d be: Viola - pretending I'm something I'm not and accidentally falling in love with the guy I'm supposed to be helping has my name written all over it.
19. By this time next year: I hope I won't be dreading having to wake up at FIVE IN THE FUCKING MORNING. Ugh.
20. A better name for me would be: Ten Tons of Ideas, Too Little Time
21. I have a hard time understanding: my mother.
22. If I ever go back to school, I’ll: probably be picking my little sister up as usual.
23. You know I like you if: I keep smiling like a moron with a face glitch.
24. If I ever won an award, the first person I would thank would be: Mom, Dad & Little Sister. Aww.
25. Take my advice, never: say "I will never ____." Next thing you know, you're doing it and people are looking at you with big accusatory question marks on their faces.
26. My ideal breakfast is: bunches of fruits (in odd numbers, of course), cold milk, and a slice of toast with honey.
27. A song I love but do not have is: Joss Stone's cover of Queen's "Under Pressure".
28. If you visit my hometown, I suggest you: bring shitloads of money. That saying about the best things in life being free is utter CRAP in this city.
29. Why won’t people: just say what they think, PERIOD? I. Do. NOT. Like. Playing. Games.
30. If you spend a night at my house: please don't break my bed again :)
31. I’d stop my wedding for: wow, I'm getting married? THAT in itself is such a miracle I don't think I'd stop it for anything. (yes, I'm a little up to here with men at the moment)
32. The world could do without: fanatic preachers. Ick.
33. I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than: Ew. I think I'd prefer doing anything else rather than licking the belly of a cockroach.
34. My favourite blonde(s) is/are: oopsy, I'm busted. This is my twisted and deranged little secret. For now.
35. Paper clips are more useful than: staples. I always staple things in the wrong order and then spend ages trying to pluck it off and end up ruining my nails in the process.
36. If I do anything well it’s: sitting around on a rainy Sunday afternoon doing absolutely nothing.
37. I can’t help but: have a major crush on Taylor Lautner's insane b-o-d-y. Yum.
38. I usually cry: when I'm royally pissed off.
39. My advice to my child/nephew/niece: follow your dreams (yeah, major "Almost Famous" reference).
40. And by the way: I'm not going out with you again, listen to Lily Allen's "Not Fair". Get the point?

No comments: